Sunday, December 22 8am
24 hours ago, I woke up after a fitful night where I barely slept to get ready for an online meeting. At one point during the meeting I became more emotional than usual and felt the need to apologize, explaining my lack of sleep. Afterwards I checked my temperature and learned that I had a fever. Crawling back into bed, the aches and chills hit hard. I texted my husband, who was out with the kids serving in the community, that upon returning, they’d need to sanitize the house. He showed up with several bags of cough drops, Mucinex, Emergen-C, Zicam, and extra orange juice. He and the kids wiped down the whole house & he got them fed lunch and dinner, took care of some Christmas shopping, and chauffeured kids to/from work. He made me feel free to just rest…
And now, 24 hours later, I have a few observations:
1) My husband is awesome!
2) If someone is emotional, maybe they just don’t feel well, or are overwhelmed. Be patient with people.
3) Sometimes the best present you can give someone is a break – time to breathe and heal.
4) I love the sound of my children laughing while my husband acts as commentator for whatever football game is on.
5) Human touch is important – hug somebody if you can.
6) The world didn’t stop because I couldn’t participate. It’s okay to delegate responsibility and trust others…learn to put things down when you need to.
7) I enjoy the sound of squirrels scampering about on the roof above me as they chase each other.
8) Missing Sunday morning church service is a bummer! (Hebrews 10:24-25)
9) Orange juice is really good.
10) God is great – always.
Back to sleep now…